Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's a Family Affair

 
Game Winners sporting their prize hats.

For the second weekend in a row, I was blessed to be able to hang out and relax with some of my extended family. It was a beautiful thing. I was able to spend time with cousins and relatives that I had not seen in almost 20 years.  Even though my own children were meeting some of their cousins for the first time...they all seemed as if they had been friends for years.

At one point in the day I just sat and watched everyone playing, eating and having fun...and to be honest my heart was extremely full!   There was plenty of good food and lots of games played.  The theme of the day was "Family."  Most of the games focused on family history and important dates and events that helped shape or influence the history of the family.

I also managed to spend some time with my Uncle who had just celebrated his 72nd Birthday the week before.  I sat and listened taking in every word he said...I couldn't help but notice how much like my dad he looked.  He shared stories with me about the adventures he had with my father and through talking with him I have begun to understand my own father even more.

As an added bonus, at the end of the day they gave away bags filled with Back to School supplies to all of the kids.  As the sun began to go down and all of the torches were put out...it was time to say good bye.  Fun was had by all and we all exchanged numbers with our guest from out of town, and promises were made to make sure we all kept in touch...and to the best of my ability it is a promise I intend to keep.

As I drove home I couldn't help but think about how much I really needed this.  I couldn't help but think about how much spending time with my extended family filled in some of the missing pieces of my own life.  I thought about how my children seemed to find common ground with family that they had never even seen before, and how they even seemed to share some of the same habits, hobbies and even the same humor.

Family has always been important to me...but I really had not put the same amount of attention and effort into my extended family that I have with my immediate family (wife & kids)  This weekend serves as a reminder for me that my family as a whole really is a treasure worth keeping.  Through spending time with them I am reminded of where I came from...I am reminded of the potential that is still untapped in me...I am reminded that there are still people out there who love and care for me and want nothing but the best for me.  I am reminded that no matter what there is nothing as great or as strong as the family that appreciates each other and manages to put all of the dumb stuff aside and appreciate and celebrate each other with the time we are blessed with.

This weekend will be etched in my memory as a reminder of the importance of family.  I know that this is something that I should remember...but the truth is...
sometimes I forget.